If you read my previous posts, you will remember that eons ago we started potty training. Okay, not that long ago but it feels like it, only because we've had fairly good success with everything. Derek has had his accidents, of course, but for the most part he's got it down. Mind you, he's a toddler, so he knows the routine but still needs to be prompted and prodded. Please hold down your wee-wee, please don't touch Mommy with your pee pee hands, flush the toilet first, don't play with the water... We also have to help him on and off the big toilet and pull up his pants - he can't quite grasp how to get it over his little bum yet! Overall though, we've got a potty trained 3-yr-old in our household. *insert image of prancing parents joyfully tossing diapers in the air here*
Our new experiences are as follows:
1. Rushing to potty after waking. This sometimes goes as smooth as butter. Other times, he wakes up as if he's being attacked by the potty, blanket-kicking and all.
2. Remembering when to push fluids and when to stop them (no more 1.5 hrs before nap, 2 hours before bedtime).
3. Saying every 15 minutes "Let us know if you have to go potty!" and "Remember to keep underwear dry!" and "Let's try to catch the poo-poo today!"
4. Watching our soap supply deplete much quicker than before.
5. Potty calls 1.5 hrs after bedtime. =S
6. Remembering to take him to the washroom before leaving the home, 40 mins after leaving, and before going back home. Can't kick it back and let the diaper do all the work!
7. Pack extra socks in the
8. Avoiding pee hands. Derek likes to touch our face after holding down his wee-wee. Uncool!
9. Cheering poop results like it's homecoming.
10. Exchanging diaper sales for extra laundry washes (but we don't mind!).
I'm sure there are more but that's enough to give a glimpse. The main issues we ran into were poops in the potty (especially since we kicked off this whole training right after an episode of constipation) and night time nature calls. I'll get into those over the next couple weeks. Feel free to poke and prod me with questions about our experience; it was a bit of a blur so I can't remember things well enough to give a detailed report but questions trigger the memory. =) We were also so busy I forgot to note things down in Derek's journal, which would have detailed things for us.
How about you? What have you tried for potty training? If you haven't started, what parts are you most wary of? When are you thinking of trying?